When it comes to making cannabis infusions, the temperature is most of the battle. However, if you’re making cannabis infusions as your primary medicine, you may also want to consider cleanup, ease of use and quality of the end product when you start putting together all of the materials you need for your cannabis kitchen.
I just want to take a minute to say that I have never met a crockpot, oven or stovetop burner that can do what these three gadgets do.
I’ve temperature tested every slow cooker, burner, and oven I’ve ever owned and even on warm/a set temperature, the temperature of my oil invariably fluctuates. Beyond temperature, sometimes pushing the easy button is so nice. When you're making medicine regularly (and when you love doing it), it's nice to have gadgets that make the process easy and more fun.
These herbal infusers are great at holding a set temperature over long periods of time, which makes them ideal for cannabis infusions.
They’re VERY different machines and if you’re trying to decide which one to add to your bag of tricks, you’ll have to consider your needs:
- frequency of use
- the volume of material you’re infusing
- how much scratch is in your wallet
- types of infusions you’d like to make
Let’s break it down…
The Levo + Levo II
The Levo I and II are great countertop devices for making high quality small batch infusions.
If you don’t grow your own cannabis and buy it by the ounce (or less), or if you prefer to make small batches of deliciously infused oil, the Levo is perfect for you.
It uses an infusion method that doesn’t pulverize your herb, and dispenses your infused oil directly into a jar or container, making it the cleanest infusion method I’ve ever used.
Since the Levo gently infuses your oil or butter, it doesn’t whip in any air bubbles, increasing the shelf life of your oil. I compared the potency of this oil with the other oils I’ve made in Dazed + Infused and it was just as potent as any other method but had the best flavor.
And did I mention that the machine is completely beautiful and really well designed?
The Levo I was a solid first attempt. The company still sells it at a lower price point of $149.99, but there were a few things that weren't perfect about that model.
- It was a little tricky to get the last bit of oil out, so they added an extra silicon piece to help the oil drain more easily. Since everything is dishwasher friendly, this isn't a huge deal. But there are already a lot of small-ish pieces and it makes the streamlined idea of what the Levo is (like a cannabis/herbal infusion Keurig) less of a reality since you have to handle the extra pieces. Again, not a huge deal and for the reduced price point, the OG Levo is a great value.
- Includes the “herb pod” which IMHO is way too small, unless you're using very high potency herb. You can order the power pod and the herb press (which I'd highly highly recommend). I wouldn't use this device without the power pod and herb press, so you'll need to add a little more to your budget (a total of $15.99 right now) to make it a really worthwhile investment.
The Levo 1 is perfect for you if:
- you want a great gift to a friend or relative who wants to get into making their own infusions.
- you want a gadget for infusions and are on a budget.
- you'll only be making small batches.
The Levo II
What I love about the folks at Levo was that they didn't stop there. They redesigned their first gadget and
The Levo II is a significant upgrade to the original device and has a higher price tag to go along with it – $349.99
It’s a new gadget in my kitchen, so I can’t say anything about how well it holds up to long term or heavy use just yet, but the team at Levo is really on top of things and handles issues quickly.
The Levo II is perfect for you, if you:
- want to create the highest quality artisanal oils that will last for a long time, with the least amount of mess and the most control over temperature… the Levo was made for you.
- make small batches.
- don't already have a decarboxylator.
- want an all in one device that takes plant material from wet, to decarboxylated to infused at the push of a button.
- are a baller and you like having the newest, coolest version of things. This is definitely the most technologically advanced device on the market right now and looks sooooooo dope on your countertop.
The Levo II comes with a power pod, but you'll still need to add on the herb press if you want one. I personally wouldn't use this machine without one because it's what makes it so clean and easy to strain.
The Magical Butter MB2
On the other hand, the Magical Butter MB2 is great for processing a lot of material at one time and will do it for a long long time.
The MB2 has been a staple in my kitchen for well over 5 years. I know this thing like the back of my hand. It's a simple device and my go to when I'm making enough medicine to share or when I'm making my own CBD oil. Because I go through a lot of CBD oil, I find that the MB2 is perfect for making a monthly batch with minimal cleanup.
Keep in mind that you can’t make small batches of infusions with the Magical Butter.
You’ll need at least 1/2 oz of cannabis and 2 cups of oil or butter to reach the minimum fill line.
You can process up to 3 ounces of cannabis in 5 cups of oil, so it handles large amounts of post-harvest trim like a champion.
It’s also messier than the Levo since you still have to strain the oil by hand, but it comes with a 190-micron filter and a silicon glove that makes processing and straining large quantities of oil very easy.
It helps contain the smell when you’re infusing oils, salves and tinctures and lights your room up like a disco party.
I’ve used the customer service once (because yeah… I did blow one up trying to make a super heady tincture at high altitude) and the Magical Butter customer service is incredible.
They have recently added a no heat button so you can make tinctures above 3000’ without ruining your machine. They’ve been very responsive and seem to adapt their product whenever a bunch of curious monkeys wants to try something new with it. Until the MB3 comes out, the MB2 will still be my cannabis processing workhorse.
The Magical Butter is perfect for you, if you:
- buy in bulk or grow your own medicine and have a lot of material to turn into infusions at the end of the season or at the end of your cycle, the Magical Butter is perfect for you.
- want to make your own CBD oil for daily use. I'll have a tutorial up for this very soon, but making large batches of CBD oil is so easy in the MB2 and if you're using a lot of CBD oil and want to save money, this is my preferred way to do it.
- want to make salves, tinctures, sauces, and drinks right in the Magical Butter.
- Want to make sure you have a solid workhorse of a device. If you make a LOT of infusions, this thing will hold up.
- are on a budget and want to save money making edibles. This thing pays off itself so quickly, especially after using the discount code.
I hope that answered all of your questions. If you have more, pop them in the comments!
With love and cannabis infused gadget fun,
CorinneThank you for supporting this site with purchases made through links in this article.