From one end to the other, last week I talked about the taboo…Cannabis suppositories and why putting Cannabis in your derrière is better for cannabinoid absorption without the psychoactive side effects. Today, we’ll touch base on another example of the wide range of possibilities for DIY Cannabis-based products without psychoactive effects…but this time…from the other end of the of spectrum…your lips!
This is the perfect time of year to talk about Cannabis infused lip balm. Now, admittedly, the first time I saw THC-infused lip balm in a dispensary, I could not have rolled my eyes any louder. I truly believed it was a novelty.
Oh my…have I learned!
Benefits of Using Lip Balm (Guys, listen up!)
While many men still feel a stigma about applying anything to their lips, guys I cannot stress enough…nobody wants to kiss crusty, chapped lips. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! So, on top of all these wonderful benefits below, there’s nothing wrong making yourself more kissable.
- Helps with Healing – keeping your lips hydrated and moist help seal any cracks from chapping and ward off infection.
- Younger Appearance – ok, who doesn’t want to look younger? Well, moist, healthy lips do wonders for knocking off a few years.
- Avoiding Painful Chapped Lips – chapped, dry lips create a painful, burning sensation, which can take several days to heal. Using lip balm on the regular will help prevent this from happening in the first place.
So, these are the benefits of just regular old, lip balm off the shelf. Now add in the benefits of the ingredients in this recipe you can make at home…
- Beeswax – protects the skin without clogging pores, locks in moisture for hydration, and beeswax carries its own anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and anti-fungal agent.
- Coconut Oil – besides being a tremendous skin moisturizer, coconut oil is an anti-fungal and antibacterial naturally. As an antioxidant, coconut oil can help fight off nasty toxins our lips encounter every day. Also, did you know that coconut provides SPF 4?
- Shea Butter – considered a “skin superfood”, shea butter is packed with vitamins and fatty acids necessary for collagen production. Sunscreen ranges between SPF 3 – 6.
- Avocado Oil – a terrific skin smoothing moisturizer, avocado oil can be used as an acne treatment and works as a natural sunscreen, which can range from SPF 4 all the way up to SPF 15!
Just a few weeks ago, I stumbled across this article in Vogue, talking about Vertly Balm out of California with CBD-infused lip balm. I was shocked when I saw the price tag for $20 for a fraction of an ounce.
While their ingredients vary a little from the recipe here, the overall benefits are the same and you can make this for a fraction of that cost. In fact, through using your own Cannabis-infused coconut oil, you not just getting a CBD-specific extract made from hemp, you’re getting full-spectrum Cannabis extract which will include CBD, THC, CBG, CBN, and full range of terpenes, as well.
Like with other topicals, although the product contains THC, you will not feel the psychoactive effects because there are no carriers in this recipe powerful enough to get the THC into your bloodstream and to the brain. However, cannabinoids like THC, CBD, and CBG are powerful antibacterial, antioxidant compounds which can improve skin appearance and tone, protect the skin from damage, as well as heal infections.
In my Dazed + Infused cookbook, I mention one user who used this recipe with a little added Vitamin E to the tea tree formula below to help heal a cold sore. This is not uncommon. I have heard of many people using Cannabis infused salves and lotions to help heal many skin issues. In fact, studies have shown cannabinoids have extraordinary healing potential and may even fight MRSA, a nasty super bug big pharma hasn’t been able to beat.
So…what better way to discreetly microdose your cannabinoids than by making your lips irresistibly kissable? This lip balm is da’ bomb!
Cannabis-Infused Lip Bomb!
Step 1) In a double boiler or makeshift double boiler over med-high heat, melt:
Step 2) Stir until combined.
Step 3) Place a couple of drops on parchment paper and place in the fridge until firm. Test to see if it’s the consistency you like. Add more beeswax for a firmer lip balm, or more avocado oil for a slick and shiny finish.
Step 4) Add your choice of essential oils.
For Lavender Vanilla
Add 6+ drops of lavender essential oil
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For Tea Tree:
Add 15+ drops of tea tree oil
Step 5) Using a small funnel, fill lip balm tubes to the top. Alternatively, fill lip balm tins using a small spoon. Let them rest at room temperature until firm.
Voila! Homemade lip protection that will rival the likes of those found in Vogue.
P.S. Have you ever thought about turning Cannabis into a career? Check out Cannabis Coaching Institute to learn more.
- Double boiler
- Parchment paper
- Lip Balm Tubes or Tins
- 2 Tbsp Shea Butter
- 2 Tbsp Cannabis Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Beeswax
- 2-3 tsp Avocado Oil
- 6 drops Lavender Essential Oil (for lavender vanilla flavor)
- 1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (for lavender vanilla flavor)
- 15 drops Tea Tree Oil (for tea tree flavor)
- In a double boiler over medium-high heat, melt the shea butter, Cannabis coconut oil, beeswax, and avocado oil.
- Stir until combined.
- Place a couple of drops on parchment paper and place in the fridge until firm. Test to see if it's the consistency you like. Add more beeswax for a firmer lip balm, or more avocado oil for a slick and shiny finish.
- Add your choice of essential oils.- For lavender vanilla add 6+ drops of lavender essential oil and 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract- For tea tree add 15+ drops of tea tree oil
- Using a small funnel, fill lip balm tubes to the top. Alternatively, fill lip balm tins using a small spoon. Let them rest at room temperature until firm.